The submissions for DoS 2017 are now open, i’ll keep it brief for now, but please submit to the usual please firstname.lastname@example.org. Join us in sharing experience of mental health, in whatever medium you see fit.
Our aim is to raise the awareness of women suffering with suicidal thoughts/ideations or mental health problems, which could lead to suicide.
See our facebook event page, like us on facebook to stay up to date with our events!
Buy one here.
90% of suicide is related some form of mental health problem, and there are many serious mental health issues that are statistically higher in women – for instance suicidal ideations are higher in women, as is unipolar depression. Arguably, these statistics may be higher due to women being more likely to seek help, either way the need to raise awareness and eliminate stigma is well-founded and valid. There is an existing zine for men, CALMzine, which is brilliant and can be found here
What is a zine, why create one?
A zine is a physical (and sometimes digital) self-published / produced / crafted /glued/stuck / mishmash / book. We’ll be hosting workshops to encourage collaboration both in conversation and with the practical side of the making. A creative and cathartic peer support group – where everyone cares and nobody judges or waits for you to speak.
What can you submit?
We want you to feel empowered to submit anything at all
– Your stories and experiences – do you yourself suffer with a mental health problem or know someone who does?
– Short fictional stories – if you have any short stories you’d like to share around the themes above, please share them*
– *Creative writing / short stories
– Illustration / Design / Art
Self Help / Alternative solutions
– Do you have any advice to share?
Share tips for self-help and maintaining mental wellbeing or mindfulness.
– Have you received any bad advice you have received and why it didn’t help?
– It may be that you wish to offer advise for people in your family or close friends on helpful methods to help them understand what you or someone else is going through.
What are the general themes of submission?
– Depression / Anxiety / Disorder
– Alternative solutions
– Drugs and Diagnosis
– Anything you feel fits within the theme of mental health and suicide in particular
Who can submit?
Anyone who is interested in sharing something, named or anonymously: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1aYYX3Q2dBMZM1m05NbxzzU0ae77aeJm9IRdT8vNV5zc/edit
How to submit?
You can submit work at one our future workshops or via email (take photos, scans or digital write-ups).
We’ll be hosting creative workshops to encourage peer support, conversation, creative play and collaboration.
Don’t let the word ‘creative’ put you off, this is just a form of expression.
If you would like to meet up and submit separately or would like a chat about the project, please contact the inbox above.
We would like all submissions to be made by the end of June 2017.
Our first meet up is soon, you’ll have the opportunity to ask questions, make suggestions and have a chat:
Any questions – just ask!